- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov confirmed that he and Hillary Clinton plan to meet prior to April 2’s G-20 meeting in London. He called his conversation with Clinton "constructive."
- Clinton today called the Six Party Talks on North Korea’s nuclear ambitions "essential," adding:
They have not only been a useful forum for the participants who deal with the challenge of North Korea’s nuclear program, but the other issues that are part of the North Korean agenda."
That might not exactly get Kim Jong Il quaking in his boots, but it’s far more helpful than calling North Korea a member of the "Axis of Evil."
- The group Gays and Lesbians in Foreign Affairs Agencies delivered a letter signed by 2,200 foreign policy employees to Hillary Clinton yesterday encouraging her to extend full partnership benefits to same sex partners of State Department employees. Currently, same sex partners are entitled to limited language training and security training seminars, but are not entitled to travel expenses, mail privileges, visa assistance, employment opportunities or emergency evacuation assitance at embassies the way heterosexual spouses and families of Foreign Service officers are.
- Clinton today sought to refute some of the rumors about infighting (or the potential for infighting) within the Obama administration. When asked about how the many strong personalities in the adminstration are working together, she said:
I think we have already established a collegial, effective working relationship," she said. "Maybe it’s because the people you’ve just named … and I are committed to the same goal, and that is to ensure that the president’s policies are effectively carried out."
I guess she really has picked up the No-Drama Obama mantra pretty quickly! Everyone did say she is a quick study.
- Heather Mills, the ex-wife of former Beatle Paul McCartney, said that she takes some of her strength in the face of public criticism from "her friend" Hillary Clinton.
I’ve watched my friend Hillary Clinton go through a hell of a time and still come out on top due to her strength.”
Now there’s a rumor/association that Hillary’s staff really needs to quash.