Who Said It: Barack Obama or Mitt Romney?
With Election Day fast approaching, how well do you know the candidates on foreign policy?
The following 15 statements were said by either Mitt Romney or Barack Obama. See how many you can identify correctly.
1. "I will recommit America to the goal of a democratic, prosperous Palestinian state living side by side in peace and security with the Jewish state of Israel."
Answer 1: Mitt Romney
2. "Together, we must stand with those Syrians who believe in a different vision, a Syria that is united and inclusive, where children don’t need to fear their own government and all Syrians have a say in how they’re governed — Sunnis and Alawites, Kurds and Christians. That’s what America stands for. That’s the outcome that we will work for, with sanctions and consequences for those who persecute and assistance and support for those who work for this common good."
Answer 2: Barack Obama
3. "As president, I would make the hundreds of millions of dollars in U.S. military aid to Pakistan conditional, and I would make our conditions clear: Pakistan must make substantial progress in closing down the training camps, evicting foreign fighters, and preventing the Taliban from using Pakistan as a staging area for attacks in Afghanistan."
Answer 3: Barack Obama
4. "[Egypt has] to abide by their treaty with Israel. That is a red line for us, because not only is Israel’s security at stake, but our security is at stake if that unravels."
Answer 4: Barack Obama
5. "Understand, America will never retreat from the world. We will bring justice to those who harm our citizens and our friends, and we will stand with our allies. We are willing to partner with countries around the world to deepen ties of trade and investment, and science and technology, energy and development, all efforts that can spark economic growth for all our people and stabilize democratic change."
Answer 5: Barack Obama
6. "The United States will apply the full spectrum of hard and soft power to influence events before they erupt into conflict. Resort to force is always the least desirable and costliest option. We must therefore employ all the tools of statecraft to shape the outcome of threatening situations before they demand military action."
Answer 6: Mitt Romney
7. "The United States will exercise leadership in multilateral organizations and alliances…. But know this: while America should work with other nations, we always reserve the right to act alone to protect our vital national interests."
Answer 7: Mitt Romney
8. [M]y red line is Iran may not have a nuclear weapon. It is inappropriate for them to have the capacity to terrorize the world…. Look, Iran as a nuclear nation is unacceptable to the United States of America."
Answer 8: Mitt Romney
9. "We’ll make sure we bring our troops out by the end of 2014. The commanders and the generals there are on track to do so. We’ve seen progress over the past several years. The surge has been successful, and the training program is proceeding at pace. There are now a large number of Afghan security forces, 350,000, that are — are ready to step in to provide security."
Answer 9: Mitt Romney
10. "[T]he key that we’re going to have to pursue is a — is a pathway to — to get the Muslim world to be able to reject extremism on its own. We don’t want another Iraq. We don’t want another Afghanistan. That’s not the right course for us."
Answer 10: Mitt Romney
11. "We continue to make a — it a priority for us to go after natural gas. We’ve got potentially 600,000 jobs and a hundred years’ worth of energy right beneath our feet with natural gas. And we can do it in an environmentally sound way."
Answer 11: Barack Obama
12. "The United States of America has helped underwrite global security for more than six decades with the blood of our citizens and the strength of our arms. The service and sacrifice of our men and women in uniform has promoted peace and prosperity from Germany to Korea, and enabled democracy to take hold in places like the Balkans."
Answer 12: Barack Obama
13. "So here’s my pledge to you. In a world of serious threats, I will never hesitate to use force to defend the United States of America or our interests. At the same time, I will only send you into harm’s way when it is absolutely necessary. And when we do, we will give you the equipment and the clear mission and the smart strategy and the support back home that you need to get the job done."
Answer 13: Barack Obama
14. "And so we can be a partner with China. We don’t have to be an adversary in any way, shape or form. We can work with them. We can collaborate with them if they’re willing to be responsible."
Answer 14: Mitt Romney
15. "It presents a threat not only to our friends, but ultimately a threat to us to have Iran have nuclear material, nuclear weapons that could be used against us or used to be threatening to us. It’s also essential for us to understand what our mission is in Iran, and that is to dissuade Iran from having a nuclear weapon through peaceful and diplomatic means."
Answer 15: Mitt Romney
So, how did you score?
11-15 correct: Oppo researcher
6-10 correct: Armchair pundit
1-5 correct: Low-information voter
0 correct: Donald Trump
Thanks for playing!
7Rex Tillerson Is Underrated 621 Shares