Best Defense

A threat to bury our military history

I hear the Army is contemplating closing the Army Heritage Education Center in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, which includes the Army’s wonderful Military History Institute, where I have been doing a lot of research in recent months. If anyone out there has some sway with the Army or with members of Congress, please tell them this is ...

carlisle.army.mil
carlisle.army.mil

I hear the Army is contemplating closing the Army Heritage Education Center in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, which includes the Army’s wonderful Military History Institute, where I have been doing a lot of research in recent months.

If anyone out there has some sway with the Army or with members of Congress, please tell them this is an awful idea. As I do research, I watch of stream of visitors come in and ask the very helpful staff for information about what granpa did in World War II, Korea, or Vietnam. At a time when we are fighting “1 percent wars,” this is a good way of connecting the other 99 percent of society to the military.

 

Thomas E. Ricks covered the U.S. military from 1991 to 2008 for the Wall Street Journal and then the Washington Post. He can be reached at ricksblogcomment@gmail.com.

Trending Now Sponsored Links by Taboola

By Taboola

More from Foreign Policy

By Taboola