The Cable

The Cable goes inside the foreign policy machine, from Foggy Bottom to Turtle Bay, the White House to Embassy Row.

Israel Launches Ground Invasion in Gaza

This story has been updated. The Israeli military launched a ground invasion into the Gaza Strip on Thursday, marking a dramatic escalation of the 10-day air war between Hamas and Jerusalem. The purpose of the ground offensive, according to a statement by the Israeli government, is to destroy the tunnels connecting Gaza to Israel that ...

Photo via Getty Images
Photo via Getty Images
Photo via Getty Images

This story has been updated.

The Israeli military launched a ground invasion into the Gaza Strip on Thursday, marking a dramatic escalation of the 10-day air war between Hamas and Jerusalem.

The purpose of the ground offensive, according to a statement by the Israeli government, is to destroy the tunnels connecting Gaza to Israel that enable Hamas fighters to attack Israeli citizens. "[The operation] will deal significant damage to the infrastructure of Hamas and other terrorist organisations in the Gaza Strip," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said in a statement.

This story has been updated.

The Israeli military launched a ground invasion into the Gaza Strip on Thursday, marking a dramatic escalation of the 10-day air war between Hamas and Jerusalem.

The purpose of the ground offensive, according to a statement by the Israeli government, is to destroy the tunnels connecting Gaza to Israel that enable Hamas fighters to attack Israeli citizens. "[The operation] will deal significant damage to the infrastructure of Hamas and other terrorist organisations in the Gaza Strip," Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon said in a statement.

A spokesperson for Netanyahu said in a separate statement that military forces had been told "to be prepared for an expansion of the ground action" if the prime minister orders it. Earlier on Thursday, July 17, defense forces said they thwarted an attempted attack on Israeli citizens by Hamas fighters using the tunnels. The spokesperson said that Israel launched the ground offensive after Hamas "rejected" an Egyptian cease-fire proposal and continued to fire rockets at Israeli cities.

"Hamas also did not honor the humanitarian ceasefire initiated by the [United Nations] and continued firing at Israeli cities during the lull," the spokesperson said. "In light of Hamas’ criminal and relentless aggression, as well as the dangerous attempt to infiltrate Israeli territory, Israel must act to defend its citizens." The spokesperson said the ground assault would continue until the Israeli military restores "quiet to Israel’s citizens for a prolonged period, while inflicting a significant blow to the infrastructures of Hamas and the other terrorist organizations."

According to dispatches from journalists and Palestinians in Gaza, the announcement of the ground assault coincided with a heavy barrage of artillery fire from Israeli troops in the north combined with bombing offensives from gunboats and fighter jets.

The launch of the operation came after 13 Hamas militants attempted to carry out an attack in southern Israel on Thursday morning by traveling through a tunnel connecting Gaza to Israel. According to the Israeli military, eight of the attackers were killed; Hamas claimed responsibility for the assault.

After 10 days of fighting, at least 231 Palestinians have been killed and more than 1,500 have been hundred injured. One Israeli has been killed in a rocket-fire attack.

Earlier in the day, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Arab League Secretary-General Nabil El-Araby conducted cease-fire talks in Cairo. The session was also attended by an Israeli delegation, but it left after several hours of discussions.

For the time being, Arab diplomats in New York were waiting to see whether talks in Egypt on a cease-fire progress before deciding whether to turn to the U.N. Security Council for help in stopping the fighting. "There is intense effort being made by President Abbas in Cairo in trying to finalize what would be a cease-fire," said one Arab diplomat. "That’s where all the efforts are for the moment."

Colum Lynch contributed reporting.

More from Foreign Policy

An illustration shows George Kennan, the father of Cold War containment strategy.
An illustration shows George Kennan, the father of Cold War containment strategy.

Is Cold War Inevitable?

A new biography of George Kennan, the father of containment, raises questions about whether the old Cold War—and the emerging one with China—could have been avoided.

U.S. President Joe Biden speaks on the DISCLOSE Act.
U.S. President Joe Biden speaks on the DISCLOSE Act.

So You Want to Buy an Ambassadorship

The United States is the only Western government that routinely rewards mega-donors with top diplomatic posts.

Chinese President Xi jinping  toasts the guests during a banquet marking the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China on September 30, 2019 in Beijing, China.
Chinese President Xi jinping toasts the guests during a banquet marking the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China on September 30, 2019 in Beijing, China.

Can China Pull Off Its Charm Offensive?

Why Beijing’s foreign-policy reset will—or won’t—work out.

Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar chairs a meeting in Ankara, Turkey on Nov. 21, 2022.
Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar chairs a meeting in Ankara, Turkey on Nov. 21, 2022.

Turkey’s Problem Isn’t Sweden. It’s the United States.

Erdogan has focused on Stockholm’s stance toward Kurdish exile groups, but Ankara’s real demand is the end of U.S. support for Kurds in Syria.