War films: A British selection of the best
“The 30 best war films of all time” — selected by someone who clearly loves movies about the Brits in World War II. The parenthetical remarks are mine.
- All Quiet on the Western Front
- In Which We Serve
- Twelve O’Clock High
- The Dam Busters (Seriously? The 4th best of all time?)
- The Bridge on the River Kwai (Obi-Wan Kenobi was in this)
- Ice Cold in Alex (Never heard of it)
- The Longest Day (Well, what are you waiting for, pilgrim?)
- The Great Escape
- Zulu (2nd non-WWII film on this list)
- The Battle of Britain
- Tora Tora Tora
- Cross of Iron
- The Deer Hunter (3rd non-WWII film)
- Apocalypse Now
- Das Boot
- Gallipoli (Really, better than Breaker Morant?)
- Come and See (Another one I’ve never heard of)
- Full Metal Jacket
- Good Morning, Vietnam (Beginning to wonder: What if the only thing you knew about the United States was these films about the Vietnam War?)
- Schindler’s List
- Saving Private Ryan
- Black Hawk Down
- Jarhead (Never seen it, no plans to do so)
- The Admiral (A Russian film, kind of a nautical Dr. Zhivago, says Wikipedia)
- American Sniper
- Beasts of No Nation
- Hacksaw Ridge
I am surprised not to see Downfall on this list. Even more at the absence of Battle of Algiers. (الجزائر معرك) What else is missing? Some Westerns? Last of the Mohicans? The Enemy Below? Stalag 17? Patton?
Also, there must be several Chinese films.
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons
Thomas E. Ricks is a former contributing editor to Foreign Policy. Twitter: @tomricks1
More from Foreign Policy
America Is a Heartbeat Away From a War It Could Lose
Global war is neither a theoretical contingency nor the fever dream of hawks and militarists.
The West’s Incoherent Critique of Israel’s Gaza Strategy
The reality of fighting Hamas in Gaza makes this war terrible one way or another.
Biden Owns the Israel-Palestine Conflict Now
In tying Washington to Israel’s war in Gaza, the U.S. president now shares responsibility for the broader conflict’s fate.
Taiwan’s Room to Maneuver Shrinks as Biden and Xi Meet
As the latest crisis in the straits wraps up, Taipei is on the back foot.