Days of Rage

Start Slideshow View as a List

Protesters wake up near a tank in Cairo's Tahrir Square on Feb. 6.


Egyptian demonstrators gather at Tahrir Square in Cairo on Feb. 6.


Anti-government demonstrators protest in Tahrir Square on Feb. 6 in Cairo.


Pedestrians walk alongside traffic moving across a bridge leading to Tahrir Square on Feb. 6.


Anti-government protesters continue to defy the curfew as they wait to hear President Hosni Mubarak give his televised speech in Tahrir Square on Feb.1, 2011 in Cairo.


Anti-government protesters gathered in central Cairo wave their shoes, in a gesture of anger, after President Hosni Mubarak announces that he will not seek re-election.


An Egyptian army tanks sprayed with slogans against Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is seen during a demonstration on Feb. 1.


Egyptian demonstrators gather at dusk in Tahrir Square in Cairo on Jan. 31, on the seventh consecutive day of protests against long term President Hosni Mubarak's regime.


Egyptian demonstrators gather around a fire to keep warm in Tahrir Square, in central Cairo on Jan. 30.


Egyptian leading dissident Mohamed ElBaradei attends a demonstration in Tahrir square on Jan. 30.


A demonstrator holds a sign written in Arabic that reads, "Down with Mubarak" in Cairo on Jan. 30.


A military helicopter flies low over Tahrir Square in central Cairo on Jan. 30.


A crowd of demonstrators join in prayers in Tahrir Square in Cairo on Jan. 30.


Egyptians pray for victims killed during protests in Cairo on Jan. 30.


Egyptian civilians carry batons and sticks while they stand guard in a Cairo street to protect their properties from looters in Cairo on Jan. 29.


Demonstrators demanding the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak wave a banner reading "leave" next to Egyptian army tanks in Cairo on Jan. 29.


More protesters swarm around Egyptian army tanks deployed in Cairo on Jan. 29.


Egyptian demonstrators crowd together on top of Egyptian army tanks in the streets of Cairo on Jan. 29.


People shout slogans as they march during the funeral of Egyptian demonstrator Mustafa Samer on Jan. 29, 2011.


Medics attend to a boy who sustained gun shot wounds during a clashes between protesters and riot police near Tahrir Square on Jan. 29, in Cairo, Egypt.


An Egyptian man looks across the Nile River as the downtown Cairo headquarters of the National Democratic Party, Egypt's ruling party, burns on Jan. 29, 2011. Eygptians defied a military curfew Saturday and continued to protest against Hosni Mubarak's regime as the army and newly formed neighborhood militias struggled to prevent looting.


Mubarak named Omar Suleiman, previously the head of Egypt's intelligence services, his vice president Saturday. He also named Ahmed Shafiq, an Air Force veteran and formerly the minister in charge of civil aviation, his new prime minister. Above, Suleiman meets with Israeli President Shimon Peres in November 2010.


The Egyptian army, one of the country's few widely respected institutions, largely allowed demonstrators to express their grievances Saturday. Above, protesters ride atop an armored personnel carrier painted with graffiti reading, "Down with Mubarak!"


Ordinary citizens locked arms Saturday to protect the Egyptian Museum, which houses the mask of King Tutankhamen among thousands of other priceless relics from ancient Egypt, from looters.


Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has announced that he plans to dismiss the government on Saturday, but it's not clear that this is enough to calm the throngs of protesters still demonstrating in Egypt's streets across the calling for Mubarak's removal. There are still conflicting reports as to where the country's military stands: Reuters reported Friday evening that the Army has taken control of Cairo's main Tahrir Square and dispersed the gathered crowds. Here, a demonstrator throws a fuel bomb at anti-riot police vehicles in the northern city of Suez on Jan. 28.


An Egyptian army officer tries to calm demonstrators in central Cairo on Jan. 28.



An Egyptian demonstrator is engulfed in a cloud of tear gas in central Cairo on Jan. 28.


An Egyptian demonstrator runs for cover during clashes with anti-riot police in the northern city of Suez on Jan. 28.


An Egyptian demonstrator holds a banner as she faces riot police forces in central Cairo on Jan. 28.


Egyptian riot police officers look on as men and women pray outside the Mustafa Mahmud Mosque in Cairo, on Jan. 28.


Egyptian demonstrators stand near a burnt-out riot police vehicle in Cairo on Friday evening in defiance of the 6 pm curfew. With violence liable to continue in the days ahead, officials in Washington are considering how to respond to the turmoil overtaking one of its most important regional allies.


Protesters say they will not be satisfied until Mubarak has stepped down.


Egyptians living abroad also participated Friday's day of protest. Above, Egyptians living in Greece protest outside the Egyptian embassy in Athens.


Tens of thousands of Egyptians took to the streets on Friday in a "Day of Wrath" intended to oust President Hosni Mubarak. Above, locals are soaked by a police water cannon in front of the l-Istiqama Mosque in Cairo, on Jan. 28.


Tens of thousands of protesters tried to cross Cairo's Kasr Al Nile Bridge in order to reach Tahrir Squar, which has been the main site of a series of protests this week.


Demonstrators pray in front of the l-Istiqama Mosque in Cairo as riot police look on. Friday's "Day of Wrath" was scheduled to coincide with the Muslim day of sabbath.


Egyptian riot place employed batons and water cannons on Friday to prevent demonstrators from gathering. Hundreds were arrested over the course of the day, and one protester was reportedly killed in Suez.


Protesters vastly outnumbered police in Cairo. The Muslim Brotherhood, which had abstained from officially joining protests earlier this week, officially endorsed Friday's "Day of Wrath."


Riot police used tear gas to quell protests, and were joined by the Egyptian military in the streets of Cairo. The government has imposed a 6 pm curfew on Friday, but few protesters seemed inclined to heed it.


Egyptian protesters have largely remained peaceful, but with Internet and cell phone infrastructure disabled by the government, have had a hard time communicating with the outside world.


Egyptian protests directed against President Hosni Mubarak's regime began on Jan. 25 and were initially limited to Cairo, but Suez has emerged as a fierce battleground between demonstrators and security forces. Here, protesters throw Molotov cocktails at police in Suez on Jan. 27.


Dissident and former chief of the International Atomic Energy Agency Mohamed ElBaradei speaks to the press upon returning to Cairo from Vienna on Jan. 27. ElBaradei, who plans to take part in Friday's protests following morning prayers -- which organizers say will be the biggest demonstration yet -- warned Mubarak's regime that "There's no going back."


An Egyptian woman walks past riot police in Cairo on Jan. 27.


Egyptian police battle demonstrators in Suez on Jan. 27.


Protesters set tires on fire while confronting police in Suez, on Jan. 27.


Riot police hold formation as demonstrators gather in front of the Lawyers' Syndicate in Cairo, on Jan. 27.


A protester throws a rock at security forces in Suez, on Jan. 27.


A woman crosses a street as demonstrators flee from tear gas in Suez, on Jan. 27.


Protesters pelt an armored car with rocks from behind barricades in Suez, on Jan. 27.


Despite a crackdown by security forces, the demonstrations have spread across Egypt. Here, a riot policeman takes aim from an armored vehicle in Suez, on Jan. 27.


Demonstrators hurl stones at police in Suez on Jan. 27.


Demonstrations in Egypt continued on Wednesday, though they were smaller than those the day before. The Associated Press, citing unnamed Egyptian security officials, reported that 860 protesters had been arrested since major protests began Tuesday morning, roughly two-thirds of them in Cairo. Above, a protester throws a rock at riot police assembled in central Cairo.


Protests in Egypt continued for a second day, in defiance of the government's claim that all demonstrators would face "immediate" arrest.


Egyptian demonstrators shout reform slogans in Cairo on Jan. 26. One of them holds a poster in Arabic that reads, "Leave Mr. President."


On the second day of protests, demonstrators were still mostly peaceful, but security forces more quickly resorted to violence and physical coercion. Here, riot police confront a protester.


Egyptian security forces were quicker to use their bamboo batons on the second day of protests.


Egyptian demonstrators tear down a poster of President Hosni Mubarak in the Mediterranean coastal city of Alexandria on Wednesday, Jan. 25.


The aftershocks of Tunisia's Jasmine Revolution reached Egypt today, as thousands took to the streets in several cities to protest against the rule of President Hosni Mubarak. Above, demonstrators clash with police in central Cairo.


The demonstrators hope that a peaceful show of popular discontent could delegitimize Mubarak, who has been in power for 30 years under perpetually renewed "emergency laws." Above, Egyptians pray in downtown Cairo as part of their protest.


Clashes between security officials and protesters did break out, however. As many as six people have been reportedly killed across the country. Above, a wounded Egyptian demonstrator lies on the ground.


The demonstrators had arranged their protests to coincide with "Police Day," a national holiday in Egypt. Cairo's normally traffic-clogged streets were largely emptied out for the confrontations between protesters and police.


Clashes were particularly heavy in the downtown Cairo neighborhood that serves as the hub of political life, and serves as a tourist attraction.


Egyptian security forces largely eschewed deadly force, relying instead on batons and water cannons to respond to protesters. Above, police fire tear gas into a gathering of demonstrators in central Cairo. In the late evening, police reportedly dispersed lingering demonstrators with rubber bullets.


The Muslim Brotherhood, an Islamist Egyptian political opposition group that has been subject to particular repression by the Mubarak government, did not officially endorse the demonstrations in the run-up to the day of protest, though some members of the group did participate. Above, Egyptian demonstrators pray in central Cairo.


More than 90,000 Egyptians signed upon Facebook to participate in the protests. While the estimated number of demonstrators in Cairo only reached several thousand, demonstrators greatly outnumbered police.


Protests continued into the evening in central Cairo, as demonstrators faced down security officials' batons, water cannons and tears gas for hours.


Mubarak has relied on security forces to maintain order to an extraordinary degree throughout his rule. Yet today's protests were the largest and most organized civil unrest the police have had to face in decades.


Protesters expressed their anger at their country's endemic corruption and shambolic economy, as well as the lack of free and fair elections. "Where are you freedom?" protesters in Ismailia shouted. Above, protesters gather in central Cairo.


Tahrir Square, the main site of protest in Cairo -- the capital's hub of political and economic life, as well as the most popular area for tourists -- was chosen for its symbolic resonance. Above, demonstrators gather in defiance of police.


Egyptians searching for a lasting image of these protests may have found one in the young protesters who faced-down a water-cannon truck in central Cairo.


Life in Cairo may soon return to normal, but the memory of today's protests is likely to last.

Previous Next Close